Minutes from Region 8 Committee meeting
The minutes from the Region 8 Committee meeting June 20, 2013 are posted below:
- Marian D. reported that there were two judges that were tardy to sessions at the 2013 Level 9/10 Regional meet in Jackson, MS. The Committee discussed the disciplinary actions to be applied to the judging personnel.
- Marian opened the discussion for the Committee relating to the 2014 Regional Judging Selection. The question posed was how should the Committee incorporate the new judges eligible for a potential National meet assignment into the existing rotation.
- The first meeting in Orlando was a good experience. There was a good mix of people who had experience with the programs in their Regions.
- All information is unofficial until final approval by USA Gymnastics President Steve Penny.
- Another on-line meeting is scheduled for July 1st. Then rules will be posted soon after.
- There will be an Xcel manual. Questions about Skills and Value Parts will be referenced back to the Code of Points.
- There will be an Xcel manual. Questions about skills and Value Parts will be referenced back to the Code of Points.
- JO and Xcel are two entirely separate programs with two different philosophy statements.
- Elaine’s email will be posted on the Region 8 website in case any of the members want to be on her Xcel email list.
- Deb K asked the State Chairs to be on alert at the Region 8 Congress beginning Friday for any problems that might arise. She asked the SC’s to make themselves available for helping at the registration desk throughout the Congress. The Committee would like participants to leave Atlanta remembering that it was a good learning experience.
- Deb K asked that help in the apparel room from the SC’s be better at the 9/10 Regionals. If an SC is unable to attend, she asked that a substitute (someone from the State Committee) be lined up to provide assistance to Colleen throughout the weekend. Help is needed at all the Regional events.
- The State Chair Workshop at National Congress in Hartford will be on Sunday afternoon.
- Deb K asked for an idea of who is going to be available to help at the Regional Training Camps.
- Not every state will have every Division of the Xcel program for 2014.
- Deb K reminded the State Chairs that the Inventory report was due August 15, 2013.
- The USA Gymnastics Competitive Information report is due August 31, 2015. The report that asks for state meet qualifying scores.
- Deb K asked that she and Marian be added to each state’s membership email list.
- Cory of Alpha Factor presented her line of leotards and war-up apparel
- Warm-ups would be in Red and Navy
- The state’s name would be on the back of the jacket with scattered crystals. - $95.
- Two other choices of styles and decorations were priced at $101 and $105 for the package.
- The leotard can be designed with ¾ sleeves. Tanks would cost around $25.
- Nylon leggings and pants were also available.
- Lea and Mary presented for Ozone
- Tanks would run about $20, but could be upgraded for $6 more.
- There were two different styles of jackets.
- There would be no navy leotards in stock but a navy starburst and ¾ length sleeves available.
- The “fit” from the 2013 leotard has been tweaked, but the nylon leo fits much better.
- The package price for the states would be $79.95.
- Individual apparel would be distributed from the Ozone booth, as was done for 2013 Regionals.
- Kylee and Amanda presented for GymKin. Modeling was by Julia.
- A white, silver Mystique leotard with 3000 Sequinz, ¾ sleeve cost $60.
- A red leotard choice was $35.
- Jackets paired with Capri were presented. A Micro knit warm-up jacket with the state logo on the back and the Region 8 embroidered on the front was available.
- Tanks ran from $20 to $30, with shorts @ $10 – grip bag included.
- GymKin will deliver from the booth but needs guidelines about who is eligible to do the pick up.
- A full set of sizers is provided for State Meet sizing.
- GymKin will provide the Team Apparel. Individual states may choose which company provides their state apparel.
- The team leotard will be the ¾ sleeve Red leo with blue and silver stars – Option #1.
- The Committee approved Warm-up Option #1 with the flag emblem moved to the leg of the pant.
- The cost of the total Team Attire will be $120.
Sophomore/ Junior Form
Please ask any of your Level 9 and 10 athletes who will be Sophomores or Juniors in High School in 2013-2014 school year to go to Soph/Jr Form and complete the form. Compiled information will be emailed to all NCAA Gymnastic programs.
Training Camp Information
Criteria for petition consideration for Region 8 National Team Training Camp…..effective 7-1-13
Petitions will be considered if:
1) A gymnast was injured during the same year as the camp and achieved the AA score of 37.00 + (during that year) at a sanctioned competition.
2) A gymnast qualified to the previous year's National Meet at the same level as they are when petitioning.
3) NIT Qualifiers from the previous year will be wait-listed and accepted ONLY if space is available.
Xcel Regional Scores
Judges Availability and In Gym Forms for 2014 Regionals and Nationals
Judges Availability Form with updated Xcel Regionals dates is available. These forms are due May 15, 2013.
2014 Xcel Regional Date Change
The 2014 Xcel Regional competition date has been changed to May 15-18, 2014.
Level 9 & 10 Regional Scores
Click here for link to Level 9 & 10 Regional scores.
Link for photographer. EBS Productions
Posted In: Programs
Related Categories: JO
TO: Region 8 Membership
FROM: Deb Kornegay (RACC), Marian Dykes (RTCC) and Brad Harris (RJOCC)
It has been brought to our attention that there are coaches in our Region that are misconstruing a rule. When you are at a competition where a rotation sheet has been provided you are to follow that rotation sheet IN ORDER. Coaches are not permitted to intentionally change that order.
The rule that states that there is no deduction for competing out of order, is there to protect the athlete in the case of an innocent mistake by their coach, NOT a license to place kids in the order of your choosing.
Entire Region 8 USA Gymnastics Newsletter Fall 2012
The entire USA Gymnastics Fall Newsletter is available below:
Region 8 USA Gymnastics Newsletter
Optional level head coach needed for growing gymnastics academy outside of Atlanta. Applicant should be experienced and trained in compulsory-optional levels through level 10. Salary and benefits based on experience. All interested candidates should email resume to EMAIL or call 678-549-8145.
Hall of Fame and Golf Tournament Photos
Photos from the Region 8 2012 Hall of Fame and Tim Rand Memorial Golf Tournament Silent Auction are now posted on Region 8's Facebook page.
Judges Availability and In Gym Forms
Judges Availability and In Gym Forms are available HERE.
National Team Training Camp Video
Thanks to Sharon Doyle, Georgia SJD for creating this video of Region 8 National Team Training Camp!
National Team Training Camp Video
Region 8 Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes from the August 9th meeting of the Region 8 USA Gymnastics Committee are below.
Region 8 Committee Meeting
August 9, 2012 9:00 am
Sheraton Music City
Region 8 Congress
Chairperson Deb Kornegay called the meeting to order at 9:00 am. Michelle Pomerantz offered to temporarily take minutes until Jennie Adams arrived.
Debby Kornegay – RACC Brenda Eberhardt non-voting proxy for
Marian Dykes – RTCC Shelley Weil - LA
Brad Harris – RJOCC Nancy Hawkins – MS - Absent
Deb Walls – AL Jennie Adams – NC
Toni Rand – FL Joanne Child – SC
Michelle Pomerantz – GA Larry Corrigan – TN
Sheila Ragle – RJD NAWGJ Non voting
Deb K passed the thank you notes that she had received since the last Regional Committee meeting.
Deb K explained that procedural rules do not allow voting privileges for a proxy. Also if a member of the Committee has a conflict of interest on a voting issue, he/she must recuse his/herself from the vote.
NAWGJ contract for Region 8 Committee
Motion Marian Dykes moved to accept NAWGJ as the judging contractor for Region 8
2nd Toni Rand Passed unanimously
Women’s Technical Committee
Marian reminded the members that it is the State Chair’s responsibility to approve a CPE coordinator and send the name of the coordinator to Marian. (CPE coordinator must be approved by the State Committee)
Marian reported that all 9/10 and 7/8 contracts were accepted. Terri Costa declined the assignment to Xcel Regionals and a replacement judge must be assigned.
Motion Deb Walls moved to assign Diane Thompson (NC) to Panel 1 for the 2013
2nd Larry Corrigan Passed unanimously
Marian suggested that the Panel 2 replacement judge be one who would be able to drive.
Motion Marian Dykes moved to assign Karen Pleasants (NC) to Panel 2 for the 2013 Xcel Regional
2nd Michelle Pomerantz Passed unanimously
There was a discussion about in-gym cards and judging availability forms but no changes were made in the criteria.
Marian asked for the approved State Meet Optional judge list from each state committee by November 1st.
Marian stated that any unexpected changes in Regional assignments after this meeting would be handled with email votes.
Application for National Judges Rotation Form
Deb K, Marian, Brad, & Larry (with input from Sheila Ragle as RJD) worked as a subcommittee on the application for National (meet) judges rotation for Region 8 USA Gymnastics
· New format may give opportunity for judges to be able to move up.
· Discussion about whether the nationals form should ask about affiliation. Decided that the question was mute because it’s already taken into account in Rules and Policies. This proposed change will be a process to manage the fact that some FIG Brevets are not active in JO. This will also provide a way to use other talented judges at National meets.
· Subcommittee will review the applications and will recommend to the Region 8 Committee.
· Every year the judges must meet the specified criteria.
· Jennie will work with Deb K to try to put this proposed form in a template with a Word format so the application can be submitted online.
· The subcommittee decided not to require a recommendation by a coach.
· The Region 8 Committee asked the Application Committee to review the timeline for the deadline.
Deb K led a discussion about a procedure to be used for high rated judges who were inactive for two years or who had moved into Region 8 from other parts of the country.
Motion Brad Harris moved that any judge who does not meet the regional criteria for
assignment for JO Nationals or Easterns for two consecutive years
be removed from the rotation list.
2nd Larry Corrigan Passed unanimously
Motion Jennie Adams moved that judges who have been removed from the Region 8
National rotation may re-apply to the RTCC.
2nd Joanne Childs Passed unanimously
Motion Deb Walls moved that the first year that a Brevet judge who has moved to
Region 8 fulfills the regional criteria, the said Brevet judge’s name
will be placed at the bottom of the Eastern/National rotation list.
2nd Michelle Pomerantz Passed unanimously
Break 10:00 – 10:14
JO Report Brad Harris
• JO all-star trip was great.
• New Region 8 color will be grape.
• The new hand placement mat restriction for hurdles is an important change for coaches to understand.
RC Committee Report Deb Kornegay
• The only recommendation of the Committee concerns the fees that are paid to the State account. They apply to the physical location of a meet and not to the home state of the meet director.
Regional Technical Committee Marian Dykes
• 2013 will be a recertification year for judges. All recertification for Nationals and Brevets will be online. There will be no live Tech Symposium. The National Compulsory clinics will just teach compulsories.
• Members of the Region 8 Committee suggested that if the judges were unhappy with the new format, individual letters to the National office would be in order.
Regional Board Concerns Actions by Deb K:
• Distributed the Regional Board address list for state chair’s approval.
• Asked the state chairs to link each state calendar to the Region 8 website by 8-31-12.
• Distributed new Region 8 Planners
• Polled state chairs for the 2013 Level 7-10 Optional State Meet dates as follows:
March 15th MS, NC Xcel B and SC Xcel
March 22nd AL, FL Xcel and 9 & 10, GA 7-10, LA 7-10 and Xcel S, G p, NC 7-10, SC 7-10 and TN
April 5th FL 7 & 8, LA Xcel B, NC Xcel S, G & P and GA Xcel
• State that there were no bids for 2013 Training Camps or 2104 Regional Meets
• Led discussion about a change in the Training Camp eligibility requirements
Motion Brad Harris move to open the Level 7/8 Training Camp to all individual State
2nd Toni Rand Passed unanimously
• Presented the Regional Financial report for committee review. Deb K also reminded the members that there is a drop down menu on the Accounting page of the USA Gymnastics website for state chairs which give Region 8 only financial reports.
• Presented the Region 8 Travel Fund for review and explained that the activities during the Region 8 Congress and Regional Training Camps would replenish the fund substantially.
• Pointed out that there was a 2015 calendar in the back of the Planner. Dates had been set for Easterns and Nationals for 2015 but she anticipated a possible change since NCAA’s and JO’s are on the same weekend. Deb K stated that the Region 8 Committee would wait until the December meeting to set the 2015 date for Xcel Regionals. She asked the members to consider different combinations of levels for the Regionals since Level 6 would be added as an optional level. Brad suggested that we combine Level 9 & 10, 7 & 8, and 6 and Xcel
• Stated that the Sophomore/Junior Form will go back to being online.
• Reminded the members that she would like to have Hall of Fame nominees before the December 2012 Region 8 Board meeting.
Regional JO Program
Deb K presented the 2012 9/10 Regional financial statement for committee review. The
profit for the meet was around $30,000. Brad stated that TBT was lucky to have used
the Manatee Convention because of their policy for allowing TBT to bring in their own food for coaches and judges.
Deb K presented the 2012 7/8 Regional financial statement from Orlando. The meet profit was around $13,600. The difference between the two meets could be attributed to the venue food policies.
Deb K presented the 2012 Xcel Regional financial statement from MS USA Gymnastics
in Jackson, MS. The profit was about $30,000. Committee members asked that previous Regional financial statements be made available on the Region 8 website for future bidders to be able to access. Deb K stated that previous financial statements are in bid packet available to interested bidders by request.
Deb K informed the members that the entry fees for Nationals had gone up to $125 while Regional entry fees are $100 for all levels.
Deb K reminded the Committee that when we did not have a bid for the 2013 9/10 Regional at our December 2011 meeting, Nancy Hawkins MS gave a personal bid through Meet Control. The company
is being dissolved and will be going through a reorganization with a to-be-determined name change. The request is to accept a bid revision for a joint bid between MS USA Gymnastics and the to-be-name company.
Motion Marian Dykes moved to accept the amended bid with the Meet Integrity, LLC
and MS USA Gymnastics.
2nd Larry Corrigan Passed (AL recused)
Deb K asked the Committee if it wanted to continue with the Alzheimer’s focus for the 7/8 Regional theme. While there was not a lot of money raised for the Pat Summit organization last year, the Committee expressed the opinion that creating public awareness was worth the effort and wished to continue next year.
It was suggested that the Committee have representatives from multiple leotard companies come to Atlanta for the Winter Board meeting in December to present bids for team leotards, either in person, video, or by packet. The Committee would then vote on the leotard choice. The winning representative would be asked to coordinate the delivery process. Invitations would be extended to all leotard vendors at this 2012 Region 8 Congress.
Brad, as JO Chair, recommended that Region 8 change the format of Regionals to reflect the formats for Easterns and Nationals. The vault format has slowed down Regional efficiency. He suggested a continuous rotation, or modified Capital Cup, on vault. The suggestions will only work if the venue is large enough for 2 vaults stations in the competitive gym. There would be no vault area in the warm-up gym. This will be a mixed format using 30-second touches on the other 3 events.
Brad stated that there would be no need for the modification for the Level 7/8 Regionals unless the venue was large enough to run Modified Capital Cup. Future bids will need to provide for the additional space for two vaults in the competitive arena. Larry Corrigan suggested that each future bid present a schematic of the area with dimensions and placement of equipment.
Brad stated that the number of gymnasts qualifying to Level 9 and 10 Regionals have been increasing, contrary to the rest of the country. Rather than causing the meets to go to four days, he suggested that using this different format (mixed modified capital cup) for 2013 would allow us to accommodate the additional gymnasts.
Deb K reported to the members that a couple of states were concerned that Level 7 gymnasts remained at home this year who had very high all around scores. The number of Level 7 Regional All Stars was 70 this year. If we were to use a modified format for 2013 them we would be able to support 192 gymnasts in a day with 3 sessions of All Stars and one session of Team. Michelle Pomerantz contacted meet director, David, to see if this would be possible in the Georgia State competitive arena.
Deb K also reported that there was concern expressed about the procedure used to determine percentages of gymnasts chosen for Level 8 Regionals. Was the Committee following the words
Region 8 Committee Meeting Minutes
- JO all-star trip was great.
- New Region 8 color will be grape.
- The new hand placement mat restriction for hurdles is an important change for coaches to understand.
- The only recommendation of the Committee concerns the fees that are paid to the State account. They apply to the physical location of a meet and not to the home state of the meet director.
- 2013 will be a recertification year for judges. All recertification for Nationals and Brevets will be online. There will be no live Tech Symposium. The National Compulsory clinics will just teach compulsories.
- Members of the Region 8 Committee suggested that if the judges were unhappy with the new format, individual letters to the National office would be in order.
- Distributed the Regional Board address list for state chair’s approval.
- Asked the state chairs to link each state calendar to the Region 8 website by 8-31-12.
- Distributed new Region 8 Planners
- Polled state chairs for the 2013 Level 7-10 Optional State Meet dates as follows:
- State that there were no bids for 2013 Training Camps or 2104 Regional Meets
- Led discussion about a change in the Training Camp eligibility requirements
- Presented the Regional Financial report for committee review. Deb K also reminded the members that there is a drop down menu on the Accounting page of the USA Gymnastics website for state chairs which give Region 8 only financial reports.
- Presented the Region 8 Travel Fund for review and explained that the activities during the Region 8 Congress and Regional Training Camps would replenish the fund substantially.
- Pointed out that there was a 2015 calendar in the back of the Planner. Dates had been set for Easterns and Nationals for 2015 but she anticipated a possible change since NCAA’s and JO’s are on the same weekend. Deb K stated that the Region 8 Committee would wait until the December meeting to set the 2015 date for Xcel Regionals. She asked the members to consider different combinations of levels for the Regionals since Level 6 would be added as an optional level. Brad suggested that we combine Level 9 & 10, 7 & 8, and 6 and Xcel
- Stated that the Sophomore/Junior Form will go back to being online.
- Reminded the members that she would like to have Hall of Fame nominees before the December 2012 Region 8 Board meeting.